Archive for the ‘Hozelock’ Category
Product Review : Hozelock Rain Sensor 2702
The Hozelock Rain Sensor is used to detect rain and shut off the Hozelock AC Pro water timer to prevent over watering of the garden. This comes in the Hozelock AC Pro and Rain Sensor Kit 2703 and can be purchased separately to upgrade the Hozelock AC Pro water timer 2701 at a later date.
This is great for those looking to use a Hozelock timer to control the watering of their gardens when they’re away on holiday or away for long periods of time. It ensures that over watering of the garden does not happen by overriding the scheduled programs of the water timer. It works quite simply by being installed in an open area where rain can fall into the cup. When enough rain has collected, it breaks the circuit between the computer and the valve thus disabling it and preventing the scheduled program to turn on. Once the water has evaporated, the circuit is reinstated and the programs can work as normal. The sensitivity can be adjusted to suit, from 3mm to 25mm of rainfall. Setting the rainfall measurement is as easy as adjusting the yellow cap.
It is a doddle to fit and comes with 10 metres of cable which is plenty long enough to get it in the open (so it can be rained on). It has a bracket that can be fitted to a wall, fence or tree. The bracket has an adjustable angle so you can ensure the cup is always facing up to the sky, even if the bracket is fitted onto a horizontal surface. The connection to the timer is as simple as plugging it in. Once you have done that there is nothing else required.
- Helps save water
- Easy to install and set up
- Plenty of cable
- Only compatible with the Hozelock AC Pro water timer
This is an ideal product to help water conservation. Easy to set up and get going. Once installed you can rest assured that you wont be over watering your plants. You may need to clean out the cup once every so often to ensure that the sensor is working as effectively as possible.
|Ease Of Use|
|Value For Money|
Product Review – Hozelock Auto Reels
The Hozelock auto reel is wall mounted, and automatically retracts the hose after watering has been completed simply by walking the hose back. The auto reels are available in hose lengths of 10 metres, 20 metres, 30 metres and 40 metres.
The Hozelock auto reels range are clever pieces of kit for using hose around the garden. They come with a premium anti-kink hose for durability, standard hose fittings that can easily connect to watering accessories such as spray guns or sprinklers, and rewinding is a doddle. Their 40 metre version is really impressive purely because of the difficulty of engineering a spring that can rewind that length of hose. It is the only one of its kind and could be for quite some time.
The Hozelock auto reels are wall mounted and each come with a 180 degree pivot making it easy to navigate the entire garden with little effort. This is also useful because when not in use, you can fold back the reel discreetly against the wall. The other features include a child lock and space for a padlock.
One draw back to this hose reel is the diameter of the hosepipe itself. It is slightly smaller than a standard garden hose pipe, so the pressure of the water is reduced at the far end of the hose. I would recommend carefully considering what length you require rather than just buying the longest hose possible. The shorter the hose is, the better performance you will get.
- Saves time on putting away hose after use;
- Pivot allows greater maneuverability when watering;
- Anti-kink hose makes it a very durable range.
- Smaller hose size limits flow rate.
For the everyday gardener, this is really useful hose reel for those that like a nice neat and tidy garden with minimum effort.
|Ease Of Use|
|Value For Money|
There are fears in the UK of a super drought for 2012 and for years to come. Water shortages can normally lead to one dreaded outcome: a hose pipe ban. How can we ensure that our gardens continue to get the water that they need without using the hose pipe? Below is a quick outline of what a hosepipe ban really means and the can and can’ts of water usage under a hose pipe ban based on current legislation.
There are still lots of permitted uses for hose pipes connected to your tap, but of course watering the garden is not one of those. The permitted uses are:
- Use of a hose or pressure washer to clean patios, boats, paths, garden furniture, barbecues windows, and a wide variety of other objects, but it excludes a car;
- To use a hose to fill up a swimming pool or paddling pool, ponds and other containers;
- Use a hose to mix cement or for any other DIY job;
- Use a hose to put out a fire;
- Use of a hose to to wash down pets, horses or for people to take outdoor showers with a spray head;
- Use a hose with a back flow prevention valve to fill livestock drinking troughs;
- Use a hose for children’s play.
You can water your garden from a water butt and pump. As a water butt is a container (you are allowed to fill up containers with a mains connected hose pipe), this is a cheeky way to try and get around the issue, but I wouldn’t rely on this as an argument because its not officially allowed. Obviously rain water collected in a water butt can be used to water your garden as it is your water that you have collected.
The above guidelines are from outdated legislation and recently (2010) new legislation was passed with a more common sense approach. Rather than having just two prohibition options, it has a list of different sensible restrictions that water companies can impose. Under this legislation, it also gives powers to grant exemptions from hosepipe bans, for example certain types of water-saving irrigation equipment such as:
- Drip Irrigation Systems
- Micro Sprays and Sprinklers
- Night Time watering
The new act includes this precise wording:
“A water undertaker need not ban a specified use of water entirely. It may limit the scope of a ban by, for example, excluding specified groups of customers and apparatus and restricting the use of water at specified times only.”
But don’t get too excited, this new legislation has not come in to effect yet and United Utilities are still having to use the old legislation. We can be sure though that in the future, we will see restrictions similar to those in the dry areas of the United States, which means that the future of garden watering will lie with automatic watering systems, as they offer the efficient method of watering gardens, saving users up to 90% off their water consumption compared to using a watering can (currently permitted), and as 80% of all water wasted in the garden comes from uncontrolled sprinklers and hose pipe use, we should see a rise in automatic watering systems in the years to come bringing us in line with the rest of the world.
Being a premium brand, Hozelock offer a long guarantee with almost all of their products including; water timers, garden hoses, spray guns, garden sprinklers, hose fittings, drip irrigation kits and parts and many more. Click if you would like to view Hozelocks Product Range.
Product Review : Hozelock Drip Irrigation Kit Deluxe 2756
The Hozelock Drip Irrigation kit deluxe is a complete automatic watering starter kit. It contains everything you need to automatically water up to 20 containers or hanging baskets. It can be extended and upgraded with the purchase of additional components. This kit contains
- Hozelock AC Plus water computer. Battery powered water timer that controls when the automatic watering system turns on and off.
- Hozelock pressure regulator. This attaches to the bottom of the Hozelock AC Plus water timer and connects to the 13mm pipeline.
- 15 metres of Hozelock 13mm main supply pipe. This acts as the main supply line and carries the water around all the garden. Can be extened with the purchase of additional pipe.
- 10 metres of Hozelock 4mm micro supply pipe. This connects onto the 13mm main supply pipe and takes water to the plants.
- 20 of the Hozelock 4lph pressure compensating drippers. These attach to the 4mm micro supply pipe and regulate the release of water to the plant.
- End caps, elbows, tees, wall fixings, pipe stakes and instructions are also supplied.
You can also choose the Hozelock Drip Irrigation Kit Maxi 2755 version which is exactly the same but without a timer, so you can choose your own timer or use the system manually. The Maxi kit is also ideal to use as an extension to the Deluxe.
Simple to use garden watering kit, saves water, time and effort, and simply connects to an outside tap. This kit will water 20 small containers or 10 large containers, or a 10m long hedge or a 5m x 2m border. The instructions are clear and concise and the parts are easy to put together. To set up the system, it is as easy as:
- Attach the water timer to the tap and fit pressure regulator to outlet
- Run the main supply pipe past all the plants you wish to water and cap off any loose ends
- Cut and connect a small length of the micro supply pipe to the main supply at each plant location
- Run the micro supply pipe to the plant root and attach a pressure compensating dripper
The hardest part of setting up this kit is keeping it neat and tidy, which unfortunately is down to the installer to decide how this is done. If you’ve never set up a drip irrigation system before then this kit will be ideal for you as it has full instructions. Once you’ve set up you system, you can easily extend it to incorporate more of you garden without any fuss. This really is ideal for novice installers and no other kit can match it for its comprehensiveness or simplicity.
|Ease Of Use|
|Value For Money|
Product Review : Hozelock AC Pro Timer 2701
This is the most sophisticated water timer from Hozelock and offers lots of functionality for controlling the activation of sprinklers and automatic watering systems. It has a choice of four methods of programming; one touch for immediate watering, pre-set programs, watering wizard and the most sophisticated watering manager. This controller is a popular choice amongst professional gardeners for its ease of use and versatility. It also has the option of a rain sensor.
Programming of the timer is easy enough, even with a the large choice of methods for programming. We chose to do an ultra easy install to start, which is simply holding down the green button until the display shows "5 minutes watering every 24 hours. Start now?" and then pressing the green button again to confirm selection. Another easy method for setting is choosing from the 13 pre-set programs. For a bit more choice you can select the watering wizard, which guides you through the set up stage and asks questions on the user requirements. This method is a bit lengthy as you can imagine, but is an easy enough method and the end result is a bespoke programming for the users requirements. The most sophisticated method of programming is using the watering manager. This gives the user complete control over all programming of the water timer.
- Plenty of choice of programming methods from simple to complex
- Rain sensor compatibility and easy to retro fit
- Instructions are clear and concise (LCD display)
- The watering manager takes some getting used to and might not be ideal for casual gardeners
- The LCD display is not backlit, making it hard to read in poor light conditions
This is a great choice for professional gardeners (and serious enthusiasts alike). If I was a casual gardener, I would choose a simpler model like the AC Plus. We like that it has rain sensor compatibility (unlike its simpler brothers) as this helps save water usage. This water timer is definitely good value for money as the equivalent from other manufacturers are a lot dearer.
|Ease Of Use|
|Value For Money|
Product Review : Hozelock AC Plus 2700 Timer
- Single outlet water timer
- Simple Programming with dial and button’s
- Up to 4 watering cycles
- Operates on two C style batteries
The AC Plus water timer from Hozelock is the most popular water timer in the UK. With its simplicity and functionality, this definitely offers the best value for money. Programming is simple with a 4 step process with a choice of up to four watering cycles per day and up to one hundred and eighty minutes run time. The process of setting the timer is:
- Tell the water timer what the current time is
- Set the water timer to when you would like it to start
- Tell the water timer the frequency of watering cycles (choice of 7)
- Set the water timer to how long you want it to run for on each watering cycle (up to 180 minutes)
- Once complete it will confirm acceptance with an audible ‘beeb’
It really is that simple to program. Once set it will store this information and continue to run for an entire season. You can turn it off for periods when there is heavy rainfall, and then set it back to auto and it will continue with the program you originally set. There is also the option to manually turn it on if you require additional watering or want to test the watering system.
This timer is very capable and would suit most applications. The choice of programs is good and is easy to set-up. The only draw back compared to something more sophisticated is the limitation of the frequency, as it only has a choice of seven. An instance where this might hinder is if you wanted to have a watering cycle at 6am, and then another at 10pm. Other than that though this is the best value for money timer available and a definite recommendation from us at Easy Watering.
|Ease Of Use|
|Value For Money|
Hozelock add pro metal connectors to the gardeners armory
Watering specialist Hozelock has introduced a semi-professional range of metal hose and tap fittings for gardeners who want a heavy duty, damage-resistant watering equipment.
Pro metal tap connectors, a double male connector and a double ended hose repair connector with anti-kink hose tail on both ends are now available in heavy duty precision milled nickel plated brass which is extremely durable. Thanks to a triple locking system, the connection to the tap is guaranteed to be secure up to 10 bar pressure – which is ten times more pressure than the water companies are required by statute to deliver to a residential property.
And for the all-important connection of the hose end to a watering tool such as a spray gun or long-reach lance, there are now pro metal variants of Hozelock’s new-style anti-kink connector with flexible hose tail. Both the standard connector and the water-conserving aqua stop version have a scratch-resistant zinc die cast sleeve to give unprecedented strength and durability. They will remain intact and leak proof if dropped or trodden on.
Soft-touch, textured side pads make the new hose connectors easy to grip, even when wet, so attaching and detaching guns and other accessories is quick and easy.
This is only one of the ways in which the new heavy duty connectors are enhanced by the use of sophisticated engineering plastics. Inset into each of the new pro metal fittings is a raised soft “bumper ring” which protects greenhouses and cars from accidental damage while also providing a comfortable contact point when handling the fittings in cold weather. The internal mechanism of the two hose end connectors, including the claw teeth, is molded from acetyl plastic which gives the best possible grip on a hosepipe and hence the most secure connection between hose and watering tool, whatever the water pressure or ambient temperature.
- Easy cleaning with the new Hozelock High Pressure Washer 130
• Towing in comfort: the High Pressure Washer 150
• The Heavy Duty Pressure Washer 150 with 8m steel-armored hose: ideal for cleaning large vehicles, patios and driveways
• The Compact Pressure Washer 100 is light and convenient, from storage, the lance is ready to use in seconds
The winter has left many cars in need of a thorough makeover, not least to wash away the potentially harmful corrosive road salt which has been splashed up onto the car. This is when a pressure washer with its effortless cleaning power is worth its weight in gold – so a feature-rich new range from hose, car brush and pump specialists.
The new, easy-to-use Compact Pressure Washer 100, High Pressure Washer 130 and Heavy Duty Pressure Washer 150 will take all the hard work out of shifting caked on dirt from large expanses of paintwork and from otherwise hard-to-reach nooks and crannies. Moreover, they will eliminate the risk of paint scratches and swirls on either paintwork or alloy wheels which can result from manual pre-washing when dirt particles can easily be trapped under a sponge or cloth and dragged across the surface.
Surprisingly, given their cleaning power, the new Hozelock pressure washers use up to 60% less water than a hosepipe* thanks to a built-in pump which pressurises the restricted flow into a focused jet which can quickly remove salt, dirt, tar, oil, insects, bird droppings and brake dust.
Neither water or power is wasted as these machines all feature Hozelock’s Total Stop System which effectively puts the pressure washer into standby mode whenever the gun trigger is released. The motor responds to dynamic pressure and restarts automatically when the trigger is depressed again.
For extra cleaning efficiency each model includes a detergent dispenser and comes with interchangeable variable spray turbo and rotary lances to provide the most effective spray pattern and intensity for different sizes of work area and for a wide variety of cleaning tasks.
The Hozelock Compact Pressure Washer 100 model is a small, lightweight (7kg) machine with a 1200w motor, 100 bar maximum pressure and a flow rate of 6 litres per minute – making it ideal for cleaning small cars, motorbikes and bicycles, as well as garage floors, small patios, decks, paths, garden furniture, barbecues, etc.
With a unique towing and onboard storage system it is exceptionally easy to move and store. All lances and accessories clip neatly into the back of the machine where the supplied cable can also be stored, tangle-free. The 3m high-pressure reinforced hose also stows neatly into a large cubby hole in the side of the casing. Thanks to Hozelock’s time-saving quick-connect hose and gun system, preparing the pressure washer for storage, or for use, takes only a few seconds.
This machine with its useful carry handle is light enough to pick up but can also be easily maneuvered on any surface thanks to its large wheels. And when it’s time to put it away, the gun simply clicks into position on top of the compact molded casing to form an extension handle, making it easy to pull or push the pressure washer to the shed or garage – without any trailing cables or hoses to foul the wheels. Once there, the gun can be detached and stowed neatly in a recessed park point on the side of the casing. And if there’s no space in an outbuilding, this unit is small enough to keep under the stairs.
For larger cleaning jobs, the Hozelock High Pressure Washer 130 model has a powerful 1700w motor giving 130 bar maximum pressure. This 9kg medium duty machine with an increased flow rate of 6.2 litres per minute works faster to get any job done more quickly and has the extra jet power to clean a large car, trailer, caravan, small boat or average sized patio or deck, lifting stubborn dirt with ease. The 130 has the same convenience features as the smaller model but benefits from a fixed raised handle for instant maneuverability. For optimum comfort the towing handle height can be extended by clicking the gun into position vertically.
Major clean-up jobs, such as motor homes, commercial vehicles, big boats and large areas of hard landscaping will benefit from the extra power of Hozelock’s top-of-the-range Heavy Duty Pressure Washer 150 model which is driven by an industrial strength long life 2100w brush less induction motor. With a maximum pressure of 150 bar and a flow rate of 7 litres per minute, this is a stylish workhorse which will easily remove the heaviest soiling from any surface at impressive speed. Alternatively, use it to do smaller jobs more quickly.
It comes with an extended 8 metres of top quality steel armored high-pressure hose, which would normally run the risk of becoming tangled but Hozelock have adapted the Thru-Flow concept of their popular garden hose systems to provide an ingenious built-in pressure hose storage reel with rewind handle at the rear of this machine. Only the required length of hose need be unwound at any time, thus saving the time and effort of unwinding the full 8 metres for every use; and if required, more hose will feed out simply by pulling on it. A screw connection ensures that the hose stays securely attached to the gun, even under maximum pressure. For those who don’t want to spend time and effort moving a pressure washer around when cleaning the car, the 8 metre hose of the Heavy Duty Pressure Washer 150 means that all sides of the car can be cleaned without moving the machine.
Unique to this model is a professional grade metal variable spray lance which is interchangeable with the supplied turbo power rotary spray lance for the widest possible range of cleaning applications. Designed for prolonged use on large areas, this model also offers the extra convenience of two integral detergent chambers which can be filled with different detergent solutions if required. The translucent tanks make it easy to monitor the detergent levels and a simple dial switches instantly from one tank to the other, reducing down time and hence shortening the job. With either tank, the rate of detergent usage can be varied to suit the task at hand.
When storing the pressure washer away, the two lances slot neatly into onboard storage channels while the gun appropriately slides into a rigid side holster. If extended, the 8m high pressure hose can be coiled easily onto its reel using the convenient rewind handle while the 5m power cable has its own cubby hole below the reel. A strong molded extension handle with comfortable soft-touch grip and tough ribbed wheels make it easy to maneuver.
Complete with a Hozelock Hose Connector in the box, these new pressure washers come ready to use and they require very little maintenance. The occasional blocked jet nozzle can be instantly cleared using the supplied cleaning pin while a unique transparent input filter lets you see at a glance whether there is any build-up of scale or impurities from the water supply which needs to be removed.
After meeting with Hozelock today, we can reveal that Hozelock have revamped their entire range of Garden Hose Pipe and Auto Rewind Hose Reel’s. They have also rolled out the new Pressure washers (previously only sold in B&Q) The most impressive product offering we saw was the new Hozelock Auto Reel 40m 2595, the first of its kind. The new Garden Hose Pipe range was also very impressive as well, taking technology from Hozelock’s recently acquired French commercial hose manufacturer Tricoflex. All hose is now branded either Maxi (braided construction offering strength, durability and value) or Flexi (knitted construction for maximum flexibility, softness, lightness and anti-kink properties).Within each of these two hose categories, the range is divided into Standard, Plus and Pro quality levels depending upon the number of layers, advanced features and warranty length. To aid consumer selection, the Standard or entry-level hoses are green with yellow stripes; Plus or mid-priced hoses are yellow with a grey stripe; and Pro or premium products are silver grey with a yellow stripe.
New Hozelock Garden Hose Pipe Range
- Maxi Pro Hose 7330; 30m of ultra tough braided hose. The hose has four layers, a smooth PVC inner layer to allow maximum flow, a thick PVC layer to add strength, a braided polyester layer to stop expansion of the hose and an extra thick tough PVC outer layer. The predecessor to this hose was the Ultra Tough and this hose is an extra thick hose to resist wear and tear, great for heavy use. This hose will be available in 30m and 50m lengths.
- Maxi Plus Hose 7230; 30m of good quality general purpose braided hose. The hose has the same layers and properties as the Maxi Pro Hose, but is the entry level version, and as we always say, you get what you pay for. We haven’t tested this yet, but be sure when we do, we will write a review to let you know what we think. This hose will be available in lengths of 15m, 30m and 50m.
- Flexi Pro Hose 7630; 30m of the ultimate knitted hose offering maximum flexibility and toughness. The hose has five layers, a smooth PVC inner layer to allow maximum flow, a foamed PVC layer which gives ultimate flexibility without kinking and makes the hose light and soft, a knitted polyester layer to stop expansion and give extra flexibility and a tough, thick PVC outer layer. This is the replacement for the Ultra Pro hose and is a great advance in Garden Hose. The two main features/benefits are:
- Soft and Flex Technology – tiny uniformed bubbles give the hose ultimate flexibility and act as shock absorbers to prevent kinking.
- Fast Roll Technology – The hose features a new innovation. Three raised stripes along the full length of the hose act as guides as you rewind your hose back on to a reel or cart. An ultra smooth outer layer also means the hose is very easy to wind back and friction is at a minimum.
Automatic Rewind Reels
This wall mounted hose reel automatically rewinds the hose without any kinks, tangles or effort. It has a 180 degree pivot allowing you to reach every area of your garden. It also has a child lock to prevent misuse and a padlock function to stop theft. The largest length of hose available is 40m of premium anti-kink hose. A spray nozzle is included, with the ability to quickly change to a sprinkler or upgraded spray gun.
Hozelock Pressure Washers
- Hozelock 100 Pressure Washer 7900; is a compact, lightweight pressure washer. Easy to move and store thanks to it’s unique towing system, which uses the handle and lance extension to form the towing handle. The onboard storage facility, means that all the supplied tools, including the two lances, are stored onboard. The Hozelock 100 is ideal if you are short of space. The details are; 100 Bar (max), 1200w motor, Total Stop System, 3m of high pressure hose, 5m cable with fitted plug, Turbo and rotary lances- for a wide range of applications.
- Hozelock 130 Pressure Washer 7901; is a highly effective pressure washer, which is easy to move and store thanks to it’s unique towing and onboard storage system. This is ideal for cleaning patios, garden furniture, barbeques and driveway. The details are; 130 Bar (max), 1700W motor, 5m high pressure hose, 5m cable, Turbo and Rotary Lances, Detergent dispenser.